Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lessons Learned From Milly


Today I spent the evening at my mom and dad's. When I walked in the door, I was greeted by a beautiful yellow lab. She ran to the door, smelled my behind, and waited for a little pat on the head. She wanted me to acknowledge her. Then she immediately ran to find something, anything, to offer me. She wanted to make sure I knew she loved me. As you all know, Kevin and I have a dog named Milly. When Kevin died, she found a much happier home..with my parents. What gracious people to take that bundle of energy. Even though she lives with them, I still love her. Kevin loved her, and Milly reminds me of him.

As my family and I were talking, our conversation turned to Milly. Keegan has been known to say, "Once you get to know Milly, she really is a sweet dog." Then on my drive home, I started thinking about her and all the things I have learned from that crazy dog.

Here are some of the lessons I have learned from Milly...

I should be more quick to love. She always brings a gift to the door to greet you. A stuffed animal, a shoe, a shirt, really just anything that is close. Am I quick to show my love to others?

I should get excited about things more. Milly is always excited. She wants to be where the party is...so she travels around the house until she finds it. I know most of the time I don't show a ton of emotion. Just get to know me and you might think differently. But maybe I shouldn't be so hesitant to show how I feel.

When I am scared, I should just bark. Barking always seems to make Milly feel better. If she hears a noise, sees someone she doesn't know, she just barks. Let her bark and she feels better. (But maybe I should do something other than bark. People might think I am a little strange.) A bat...when I hear strange noises in my house, I should just find a bat.

I should enjoy the simple things in life...not take those simple moments for granted. Milly loves walks. You mention "walk" or "go" and she knows what that means and is READY! I want to find pleasure in the simple things...a walk, a meal, a quiet evening at home. I should be ready for those simple moments and take them as they come.

I should be more calm. Milly just lays there and lets the kids play all over her. I shouldn't stress over a messy house, unfinished grading. Just relax...

I should play more. Milly knows when you want to play (and when you don't). She makes her own fun. I want to be more like that. Go find people and a fun activity and run with it!

I should be more concerned about others than about myself. When my dad had an unfortunate fall and split his head open, Milly was there to lick the blood from his arms and legs. (Gross, I know, but still, a lesson learned.) Milly senses peoples emotions and cares about them. I want to be more like that.

I am sure there are more lessons to be learned from Milly. She really is a sweet dog.

6 comments:

Jen@Because I can said...

Those are all great lessons to learn, that we all need to remember. Isn't it great how Heavenly Father teaches us things through small and simple ways!

Unknown said...

These are valuable lessons. I agree though that you'll need to do something else besides barking. Imagining you barking was an amusing experience though. :-)

Dawn said...

I think you missed a very important lesson...you should sniff people more....just walk up to them and sniff their neck or hair, or ear. You never know maybe there is wealth of information to be had....

Heidi J. said...

Oh Milly she is such a sweet dog thanks for the lessons.I do want to see you bark though Haha

Kimberlee said...

I totally think you should bark. Barking is more fun than swinging a bat.

Jon Paul said...

Dawn, I think people would really think you're weird if you sniffed them. Tera, you can't just say good things about dogs or Bryanna is going to want one. Think of all the nice things about cats...