Saturday, May 31, 2008

I didn't even know I was playing tag...

The has now become version 2 of this post...thanks Ed for pointing that out to me about my time issue with the first question. I had it right in my head when I first went to write the posting, but then when I finally got around to responding it was right after I read your (Ed's) comments about your mission in your tag response. So I must have just gotten in the mood to write about my mission or something. Anyway, I have left the incorrect portion but will now add a correct answer to the question. There is also an addition to the last question as well...


I know this took me forever to finally get posted, but it took me a really long time to think of what to write for some of the questions.

Rules? Answer these 8 questions and tag 5 people.

1. What was I doing 10 years ago?
Correct Answer:
I was just getting ready to go on my mission ten years ago. I had just finished up a year at BYU where I had a great experience getting out on my own and making new friends, and of course gaining a bit of education along the way. Not that I would ever go back, but my freshman year of collage was one of my favorite times of my life. I learned and grew in many ways. But exactly ten years ago, school was out and I was not working, simply getting things together for the mission. I was doing a lot of shopping and just hanging out really since I didn't have much responsibility at the time. I helped Mom keep the house clean I think, but that was about it. Most my friends had already left on their missions, so I was mostly on my own to keep myself entertained, but I've never had a problem with that. I don't remember for sure, but I bet I read a lot and played video games (in between all my spiritual preparations of course!). My sister Kelly and I entered the MTC together on July 15th 1998.

Incorrect Answer (my mind was time warped when I wrote this)
I was serving as a Zone Leader in the Anahuac Stake in Monterrey Mexico. I only had a little bit of time left at that point (I returned home mid-July, so just a couple of months later). I had an amazing companion, Elder Hernandez, one of my favorites. He had been out on his mission only a few months less than I and we really work well together. We worked hard and ate lots of really good food!

2. 5 things on my to do list?
Well my typical routine is eat, poop, sleep, repeat. And then I fit in there where I can the other things that I need or want to do.

3. Snacks I enjoy?
Well...I really enjoy cold cereal, and then there is cold cereal...as a matter of fact I really like cold cereal. I have a really good stash currently as well (at its prime my stash was up to about 70 boxes I think. I've worked it down a bit from there though). I call it my food storage. I also really like a lot of chewy/gummy candies, I really love dough nuts and you can't ever go wrong with some ice cream.

4. If I were a Billionaire what would I do?
I would first quite my job so that I was free to explore other adventurous options once I was done playing with my new found cash. I would find and/our build mine and Tera's dream house (which would include a separate cereal pantry and bar somewhere attached to he kitchen, or maybe several throughout the house). I would create different accounts to make sure the money continued to be managed well. This would of course include retirement getaway savings and kids collage funds, etc. I would then share with my family. How does a couple 10 million sound everyone? After all of that I think it would be very rewarding doing things like setting up funding for people who can't afford IVF. Or look for good, hard working families that have just had a little bad luck and help them get back on their feet again. Anyway, there would be all sorts of ventures to explore.

5. 3 Bad Habits?
I tend to over eat frequently at meals. With my current state of my digestive system I'm not so worried about gaining weight, but I literally make myself sick. Tera things that it's a bad habit that I don't like to shave very regularly. I will usually go about four days in between days that I shave. I can also be a rather impulsive buyer at times. When I see something in an ad or there is something I think I really could use, I will often times get fixated on it and just want to go out and buy it. For that reason it is good that I am married to someone like Tera who worries a bit more about finances than I do.

6. Places I've lived?
West Jordan, Utah
Provo, Utah
Monterrey, Mexico
Linares, Mexico
Miguel Aleman, Mexico
San Nicholas, Mexico
Guadalupe, Mexico
Lehi, Utah

7. 5 jobs I've had?
I worked for a little carnival company called Fun Services when I was fourteen. Since then I have worked at Subway, a movie theater, Widdeson Turbine, the Department of Mechanical Engineering at BYU, and Reaction Engineering International

8. 5 things people don't know about me?
In the fourth grade I was so traumatized by a Halloween story that my teacher told us, I was switched to another class and had to see the school shrink for quite a while. That started an episode in my young life where I worried about the craziest things.
Currently I really like to watch the food network. I'm not really much of a TV watcher but when I do sit down to watch something that is the first place I go. I enjoy shows like Diners, Drive-throughs, and Dives; Throw Down with Bobby Flay; Unwrapped; Iron Chef; and many more.
I really like to vacuum. I don't know what else to add to that.
Another strange thing about me is that I am obsessive-compulsive when it comes to keeping things in good condition. For example, I read paper back books so that creases never form in the spine. Ever since I was a little kid until this day I am paranoid about losing pieces to my lego sets. I think those examples give you an a good idea of what I mean.
Someday I want to open and run a combined book store/bakery/ice cream parlor/cereal bar. Sounds intriguing doesn't it?
Another thing I thought of is that I don't really like to talk on telephones very much. I would much rather talk to someone in person. I remember when I was younger I would rather walk up the street to my friends house (that's you Joe) then call him first to see if he wanted to do anything. Now days I like having my cell phone, I find it very useful (I have a blackberry pearl, great phone), but I don't typically like to talk on my phone very much. And I'm always really bad at returning calls or just getting around to making the calls I need to make. Talking to family is a little different, I don't mind talking the time, but I'm still slow at getting around to doing it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This sure made for a good laugh which is almost always needed. I do have to say that there is a minor continuity problem that I've detected. Unless you had a "Time Turner" like Hermione from Harry Potter, I'm not sure it's possible that you were a Zone Leader 10 years ago before you even left on your mission. ;-P

Who knew that we had so much in common? I really enjoy the Food Network too (does Bobby Flay ever WIN a throwdown?)

And vacuuming, what's more satisfying than hearing the little crumbs get sucked up and the neat rows created by its brush?

Charity said...

We've seen Bobby Flay win several throwdowns. I use to wonder if the "other guy" ever won. But, we haven't seen many of the newer ones. We saw him win a donut throwdown, a breakfast one, cheesecake, crab cakes, many others....

Dawn said...

Kevin-I would be your first customer at the book store/ice cream parlor/ceral bar--if you have captain crunch and picture books!

Jason said...

I just wanted to say I can vouch for Kevin's obsession with cereal. At BYU he was ALWAYS eating cereal. He had quite the cereal bowl as well! Now that I have kids, i've grown to appreciate the Albertson's 10 for $10 sales on cereal (i'm sure this is how you accumulated you're food storage).... we call it our food storage as well. LOL.

We still need to plan a BBQ or something. We're getting Rock Band for the Wii very soon... BBQ, Rock Band and Mario Kart?

Alisa said...

i would also frequent your cereal bar. what a great idea!