Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ready for School?

Are you ready for school to start?

I heard this question a lot the last 2 weeks. Well, ready or not, the kids came on Wednesday and I am EXHAUSTED! When I was asked this question, I really thought I was ready, and I told people that. But now that I am in the thick of school, I have changed my mind.

What was ready?


As you can see, my room was ready. And, at Back-to-School night, many of the kids were so excited. So the room and the kids were ready!

Why wasn't I ready?

Now summer is OVER! I want it back. I like having the summer off and not having to work. I like having a break from planning lessons. I like the sleeping in. (8:00 is way better than 5:45!)

Now I am teaching a new grade level. I am ready for that, I guess. The kids are great, but I wasn't anticipating my first year of teaching all over again! Late nights. No time for myself. Learning (really, I feel like I am learning right along with the kids) a new curriculum. Not that the learning part is bad, it is just more than I thought it would be.

This post is sounding awfully negative! I really do enjoy teaching. And I love getting to know a whole new group of kids. They really are a great bunch and make it all worth it!

But the truth is, I guess I am not quite as ready as I thought I was.

7 comments:

lisa said...

Tera, the sixth graders are lucky to have you as their teacher! You are ready...ready to be a positive influence in their lives, ready to make a difference in their learning, ready to love and accept them, ready to make this year fun! (we've seen some of your fun ideas!)Some day your students will appreciate your sacrifices!! By the way...Your classroom is awesome! we love you!

Dawn said...

At least the first 3 days are over....

Allie said...

Your classroom looks so cute, Ter! 5:45am though?? I'm sorry! Here's to a new week! Love you

Jen@Because I can said...

I think that we never feel ready, but somehow we do it, whatever it is! But your class looks way cute and I'm sure you are amazing!

Kelly said...

Good Luck Tera! I have confidence that you are an amazing teacher. You are the kind of teacher that I know in five, ten, twenty, or even thirty years those kids will remember you as their teacher.

I hope you have a fun year! Love you!

Charity said...

You're ready because you care. It's obvious. And in my opinion, that makes all the difference in the world.

Heidi J. said...

You will be awsome! and the kids will love you.