Thursday, August 6, 2009

One Year


Dearest Kevin,

One year. One year without you by my side. So I sit here early in the morning, thinking about the year that has passed and all that has transpired since you left. If I dwell on those thoughts too long, I go crazy. I have gotten into the habit of writing you letters on special days. Days that I like to remember our time together. Our anniversary, birthdays, holidays, etc. I would love it if you could really read them. It has helped me face emotions and get through those terribly difficult days. So here is my letter to you...after one year of missing you.

I was a little worried about this week, but lucky for me, mom told me last week that she was headed to Monticello and I told her I was coming. So on Monday, Mom, Kim, the kids and I loaded up the car and left for that wonderful place. Remember how we went there after we found out you had cancer again? You know, the place where nothing bad can happen? It is still a place of peace. It was a good opportunity to be with family and just feel. I had a few conversations about you. Grandpa is doing well and grandma takes such good care of him. It was hard though because it reminded me so much of me taking care of you. Then I started wondering if I was as loving as grandma. I hope you know that everything I did those last 6 months was out of love, pure love, and concern for you. And some concern for myself. I guess I was a little selfish. I wanted you to be here as long as possible.

I hope you know I think about you all the time. I am trying to move forward, not on. Because moving on makes it sound like I am forgetting about you. But I am not ever going to forget you. You know that, right? Sometimes I think people wonder if I really feel emotion about losing you. I put up a good front most of the time. I am getting pretty good at it. And, as much as I hate to admit it, more time goes by between those really bad days. I don't cry every minute or hour. But I want you to know, I do grieve. I just grieve by myself most of the time. I often grieve when I kneel down by my bed at night and you aren't there. I just cry and talk to Heavenly Father. He makes things better. Each day that I am alone, with no one else around and I have nothing to do, it is hard. During those times I think about you and what we might have done if you hadn't had to leave me. Maybe we would have played a game or made a treat. We might have gone on a walk together or cuddled up in blankets and read books. And I cry some more. Every time I sit down to plan a lesson for Sunday School or have a question and need someone to bounce ideas off of or clarify ideas for me, I think of you and the gospel knowledge you had. I realize you aren't there to help me. I have to do it by myself. Every time I go to family dinners and everyone else has their "special someone" with them and I don't, I am once again reminded of how much I miss you! When I walk by your picture, or play a game, or visit someone at the hospital or go on a road trip, I remember. I remember you and how much I miss you and love you.

I also thought about all that you taught me and all that I have learned this year. I learned that you are one of the most patient people I have ever known. Looking back, you were suffering. Nothing about your life was easy during those last few months. But you tried to keep a smile on your face and keep living. Thanks for doing that for me. You also taught me about optimism. With optimism, you can make it through anything. So I am trying very hard to be that optimistic person that can make it through anything. You took such good care of me and loved me so much! I once again have been reminded that families are forever and how grateful I am that we have eternity. I have learned to have a little more faith and hope. I don't worry so much and I am trying to look forward to the future...wishing so much that you were here to face the future with me. But you are here, aren't you? So this day, a year later, is a day of emotion. A day of trying to feel you close. A day of remembering.

I want you to know that I am working so hard at becoming the person I need to be so that I can be with you again. I want to be the person you want to spend eternity with! Keep watching over me and loving me.

Until we meet again, my love.

Love,
Me

16 comments:

Jen@Because I can said...

Thanks for sharing that sweet letter with everyone. You are amazing Tera and Kevin is lucky to have you. Love ya!

Monique said...

Love you Tera. My heart and prayers go out to you. You ARE seriously fabulous.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to have read this today, and to know you and to have known Kevin. My life is definitely better as a result of knowing you guys.

Both of you have occupied many of my thoughts this week.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Allie said...

I love, LOVE you, Tera. I am so grateful that Kevin is part of our family and that we will be reunited again. I will be thinking of you both, especially today, and praying for you. Love you.

Charity said...

Thank you, Tera, for sharing this.

I, like Ed, have reflected much this week. Being here, in this house, makes the memories so vivid, and last night as I fell asleep, I remembered so clearly the exhaustion I felt during that week, and felt it was nothing compared to yours or Kevin's. Yet, we were all held up by the hands of angels those days, weren't we?

This morning, a young college student from Estonia came to my house selling books, and he reminded my of Kevin in so many ways. From his blond hair, to his smile, friendliness, kindness and enthusiasm for life. In honor of Kevin, he left my house with a Book of Mormon : ).

Kevin continues to touch lives.

lisa said...

Tera,
I read your letter and cried...for you and for Kevin...and then... I was grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows us and what we can handle and who never leaves us to walk alone. You are so strong and have so much faith...I always feel better when you are around. I am sure Kevin is also watching over you and knows of your love for him...there isn't a more perfect love. Thanks for letting me share a part of this special day with you!

The Sims Family said...

Thank you, Tera, for sharing this letter with us. I love you so much and think about you often. Thank you for the great example you are to me - your love, your strength, your faith. I love you.

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

Thanks Tera, all I want to do right now is come over and give you a hug.

Kelly said...

Thanks Tera for sharing. What a sweet love you and Kevin have for each other. I love you. And I hope you have a wonderful time in your "peaceful" place, where nothing bad can happen. And I'm glad you have such a loving family to love and to be loved by. We will also have Kevin in our hearts. Thanks to Heavenly Father for giving us families and His love.

Kimberlee said...

I love you so much. My heart aches for you because I want you to be happy. I've been thinking a lot about Kevin this week and about the wonderful attributes he has. He set such a wonderful example and it has made me evaluate my life and how I need to be better. You of course are one of my shining examples and I thank you for the way you live your life and for your optimistic attitude through the trials you go through!! I love you!

Amy said...

I'm thinking about you today, Tera. Thank you for sharing this personal letter.

K and M K said...

I should have known better than to read this at work. This letter is beautifully written, and I believe that one day Kevin will be able to read all of your letters if he hasn't already. Much love to you.

Dawn said...

Man I am such a crier! I just sat here and cried...I cried because I miss Kevin. And I cried because I love you. You are amazing--I see it every day. :)

Shelly said...

I hope you don't mind me following your blog. You inspire me and are such a great example to many. I continue to pray for you. You truly have been Jesslyn's favorite teacher and I thank you for being such a wonderful Lady.

Tara said...

What a beautiful letter. Thanks for showing us the reason we all are reaching for eternity and giving us new perspective. Much love to you.

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

A tough sort of anniversary! Tera, I can't help but imagine your sweetheart beside you at those lonely and tough times, silent and unseen, but there. I think about you often. Thank you for sharing the deep feelings of your heart. I think you end up comforting others who would wish to be a comfort to you.

Good luck this school year. I bet you are more prepared than you feel. Besides, I'm certain the kids can't help but like and admire you.

Thanks again for being such a great roommate back in the day. Although time certainly marches on, I can't help but think of the fun memories I have of our apartment and Roman Gardens.