Thursday, March 20, 2008

Performance Inhanching Drugs Anyone?

So I had a doctor's appointment yesterday with a doctor whose purpose at the cancer center is to help patients improve their quality of life. So basically you tell her what symptoms are keeping you from enjoying life and then she hands out the drugs to fix them. It was actually a really good visit because I had a change to talk about what is causing my swelling and discomfort and come up with a plan to make things better. So it turns out that steroids are a very good anti-inflammatory (at least the one she is prescribing me with). And since she feels all the discomfort in my abdomen and back are all associated with my swelling and backed up lymph system, the steroid will provide relief in that regard as well. It will even give me a little boost of energy through the day. The only downside is that my hopes of becoming a 7 time Tour de France winner are out the window. I'll never make it past those drug tests now. Maybe I'll just have to focus on first on successfully walking Milly 7 days in a row and go from there.

As to when the experimental chemotherapy infusions will begin...we are still waiting for insurance to approve them. With my experience with insurance I don't really see that getting all wrapped up for at least two or three more weeks (I hope they prove me wrong here). In the meantime I have a plan to improve my quality of life so I'm good.

6 comments:

Kimberlee said...

So can they prescribe something for your bathroom issues? Dawn and I were just talking about the poop party you guys had planned awhile back :) I've got a bag of tootsie rolls stashed in the cupboard when we're ready to have the party!!!

Allie said...

I hope the steroids start to help... we'll pray that they do! We sure love you guys and are so glad we got to spend some time with you this week! If you need another getaway, you're welcome in Arizona anytime!... too bad it's an 11 hour drive, but it's only an hour and half flight! Love you lots!

Dawn said...

yeah-I am all over the poop party!! I have been saving all the toilet paper towel rolls I can get my hands on! Anyway, I think that doctor sounds awesome....does she only work with cancer patients or could she hook a girl up?

Jill said...

You are SOOO good Kevin. I tried to find your blog before and couldn't get it, but now I found it, and you make me happy! What a great attitude you have always had! What a man of courage (and I know that doesn't mean that at times you feel less courageous), but know that you are constantly in my prayers and thoughts, each time I'm at the temple you are on my list. I try to go often, but will try to go even more often. And fast Sunday is now something I look forward to!!! Thank you, I love you!

Alisa said...

Poop party? I threw one of those in nursing school. Complete with catheters full of apple juice.

Good luck with the steroids Kevin.

lisa said...

AS always, you find the bright side of things and add a little humor. Maybe we will have to have our own bicycle "tour" up Provo Canyon now that the weather is so warm and you and Tera have your own beach bics. We love you!!