Sunday, August 21, 2011

Doing Hard Things

This year in Young Women's, the girls have been challenged to do hard things. It isn't like they haven't been doing hard things. We know they have always been doing hard things. Well, I took this challenge on myself this year as well. Consciously or unconsciously, I am not sure. I just think we are put in the right places at the right times. This was a challenge I have needed. I am stronger than I think I am. I have come to know this during the past 6 months or so. But life is hard. Really hard. I always wonder when it is going to be easy. Now I know, it is NEVER going to be easy. And when you start to think that it is easy, it gets hard!
Yesterday we walked 22.1 miles. We walked from the Draper Temple to the Salt Lake Temple. Anyone I told asked me why we were doing that. I told them we are crazy! But now that it is all said and done, I am so grateful for the experience. We worked and prepared for a long time doing hard things. Hoping in the process that the girls (and leaders) would be ready physically. We repelled, had a challenging youth conference, trained, etc. We also trained spiritually by reading the Book of Mormon from cover to cover. We had talks and firesides and testimony meetings. I consider it a great success-even if it only made a difference for one girl. I know it made a difference in my own life. When things get hard and I want to give up, I am going to think of the 20+ girls, who woke up at 3 am. They came with smiles on their faces. They were energized. These girls didn't complain. They talked and we bonded. I love those girls! I am going to think of them and their great accomplishment. I will think of their strength, the Lord's strength, and my own strength. It was a great accomplishment for me as well. I can do hard things. I can get up and go to work each morning, even though it is hard. I can sacrifice my time and put some effort in to grow spiritually, even though it is hard. I can be social, even though I hate it. I can work out and push myself physically because I know it helps me. I can do all these things, because each of these things is worth it. I am worth it!

6 comments:

Charity said...

Yes you are worth it, Tera. Yes you are!
Awesome job with the YW!!

Jen@Because I can said...

Ahhh! Tera! You constantly amaze me! So glad I know you!

Allie said...

You are AMAZING, Tera! I hope to be like you someday! :) Thanks for your example.

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

Way to go!

Lindsay said...

I love you Tera!

Whitney said...

I love this post, Tera. We talk a lot about doing hard things in our family too. You are amazing! Stay the course!