Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Painting + Tera = DISASTER!

So my siblings and I thought it would be nice to help out mom and dad and paint their basement. It has been 10+ years since it has been done. I have been telling mom I would take care of it over the Christmas Break. I told her she wouldn't have to do a thing. Well, that isn't quite how it turned out.

8:30 Clean up basement, wipe down walls--no problems

10:30 Pick out paint. It took forever to decide, no problems then, but don't worry, there were future problems.

12:45 Eat some lunch. Kim and kids come.

1:30 Begin the painting process. No problems. Kids were good. Painting was going well.

5:00 TIRED. Kim leaves. The problems really begin.

Mom is helping the entire time. That was not supposed to happen. Before Kim leaves we all have a discussion about the paint color. No one is SURE about it. But people, it is too late! (I try to tell them!) Worried about it being monotone. After all this work, it better be worth it!

5:30 Tape baseboards and light fixtures. Total pain! Painting would be so much easier if you didn't have to tape! Oh, and ceilings. Why didn't anyone warn me about ceilings?!

6:00 Keegan comes home and makes a comment about the paint color. I get a little upset. Mom gets frustrated with me. I get frustrated with EVERYONE else! Crying and angry.

6:15 Dad comes home. Kelsi stops by. Everyone decides the paint color is fine. I get back to work and spill half a gallon of white paint on the carpet.

6:20 Spend 30 minutes cleaning up paint!

6:50 Apply 2nd gallon of white paint (dad had to go back to the store) to ceiling.

7:15 Paint splattering everywhere. I am a mess. Ready for a shower, but I am not stopping until this project is finished.

8:00 Standing on bar stool painting around light fixture on ceiling. Decide to put one foot on stool, one foot on couch. Said couch is not stable enough. I fall, with a cup of paint and a paintbrush in my hand. Paint everywhere, broken bar stool from my behind breaking my fall on the bar stool. Land flat on my back. Bruised leg, bruised behind, bruised back, bruised pride. What fun! Spend another 30 minutes cleaning up mess.

9:00 Finally painting the color on the walls. (We only experimented with the color earlier.)

3:00 (AM mind you!) Finish the first coat of color. Decide I can't handle anymore and clean up what we can. So tired!

4:00 Go to bed.

The second coat went on without a hitch, minus having to go back to the store for another gallon of paint.

*So next time I tell you I "want" to paint, please, TELL ME NOT TO!

**The paint looks great. It is so nice to have it finished, but I still don't ever want to paint again!

***That's how I spent the first two days of my break!

5 comments:

Jen@Because I can said...

Sounds like what happens when I paint! You should at least post some pictures so we can see all your hard work!

PS: As I was typing this I noticed that the first 4 letters of paint are pain! Boy is that ever true!

Mary said...

I have so spilled a gallon of paint on carpet before too! What a nightmare. I'm sure your parents are so happy you did that for them despite the headaches. You're such a great person to do that for them. Hopefully you rest for the remainder of your break!

Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

What an adventure!

Charity said...

Aaaaaahhhhh!! Just reading that got me frustrated. I can't imagine living through it. I bet it looks great : ).

Amy said...

Wow, you are dedicated! You need to post a picture of the finished room!