Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Breaking Heart

As you can probably tell from the title of this post, we are not pregnant. I am not surprised. After this week, I don't know how my body could have hung onto a pregnancy.

A little less than a year ago, Kevin and I felt strongly that we should start our family. We had the resources to do IVF, so in July of last year we got started. In October we went through our first IVF cycle. I miscarried in December. We wanted to try again very quickly, but school was crazy and Kevin didn't seem to be recovering from surgery very quickly. Even though that was the case, I still felt that we should move forward with trying again. In June, we tried, but it doesn't seem that a family is a blessing Heavenly Father wants to give us right now. We found out yesterday.

Part of the reason for my breaking heart.

On Monday of this past week, we found out that Kevin's tumor markers were on the rise again. Chemo was no longer working. The doctor said (and Kevin agreed) that chemo was doing more harm than good to his body, and there aren't any other options--at least no "clinical" options from a curative, oncology perspective. We are set up with hospice so they can help Kevin be as comfortable as possible, and we are still hanging onto the hope that there is still a miracle in store for us. We also know there may not be, we haven't given up hope. Kevin has expressed his peace of mind with either option, though of course there is much more we hope to experience together in mortality.

More reason for my breaking heart.

As the bishop said during his visit yesterday, "not the best bookends to your week." We know that many of you don't know how to respond in a situation like this. We don't want pity or a "fix all." Don't feel like you have to reassure us that all will turn out okay. Just an "I'm sorry" and more prayers will be sufficient. The support we have received from all of you has made all the difference in the world. We appreciate the calls, visits, and emails to see how we are doing and to just talk about what ever; it is these simple actions that show your love and concern best.

Thanks so much for all the love, support, fasting, and prayers in our behalf. Even though this isn't how we expected our lives to turn out, Kevin knows (and is helping me to know) that Heavenly Father is aware of us and always has our eternal good in mind; His promises will all be fulfilled in His time and in His way. This we know.

29 comments:

Charity said...

I'm sorry, and yes, more prayers. We love you both so dearly.

Allie said...

We love you both so much! We will continue to pray for you and please know that we are always thinking of you!

Unknown said...

I probably should've been more forthcoming all along (and I hope it was evident before now) but I really love both of you guys so much. I have felt a special connection to both of you from the first time we met. I'm sorry that things are going this way and my family and I have been and will continue to pray on your behalf!

Amy said...

I have been thinking of and praying for you and Kevin all week. I have a difficult time understanding trials like these, and I often feel very uncomfortable knowing how to express my support, so thank you for telling me what I can do. I'm sorry for all the bad news you've had this week, and you will continue to be in my every prayer.

Kimberlee said...

You two are amazing. I am awed by the way you handle all that is going on in your life. I love you I love you I love you!

Lindsay said...

There is nothing that I can say to express to you how sorry I am, know that we pray for you both and your families and that we love you so much. Please do not hesitate to ask for anything (big or small)- thank you for being examples of faith, hope and love to all of us.

K and M K said...

I have been keeping tabs on you guys, and want you to know that you have been (and will remain) in my prayers. SOO much love for you both!

Dawn said...

Tera and Kevin- I want you to know how much I love both of you!! I am sorry for bad news this week and of course I will be praying for you.

Bryanna Johnson said...

We love you guys too and think about you and pray for you all the time, even if we never comment on your blog!

Jen said...

You have been and will continue to be in our prayers. You are destined to be great and have great blessings come your way! If you need ANYTHING please do not hesitate to call. I feel super lucky to have met you both and know that the Savior knows each of you and he is walking right beside you both. Oodles of love and prayers.

Kelly said...

Here is a BIG BIG Hug!!! I love you tons! And my heart is broken for you too. Both of you are examples to me of faith, hope, courage, and love. I also will keep praying for you. Here is another BIG BIG hug!

Anonymous said...

Tera, I just want you to know how much I love you and think of you. I know we don't keep in contact much, but I will pray things go well. Love you tons.

Sonja said...

Tera and Kevin--I'm so sorry. Life seems so unfair sometimes--I can't seem to make sense of it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Angie said...

Aww. Sweety, I'm sorry to hear about your recent struggles. I think about you often, even though I'm not so good at keeping in touch.

Love you, Terabraula!

Heidi J. said...

Im sorry, you guys are in our prays and if you need anything even if its seems small let me know.I hope yoou guys can have some what of a fun week and don't get to sun burned.

The Kunz Family said...

Oh Tera, I am so sorry! I am sure there are no words I could offer that would give you the peace and comfort you need at this time. Just know that I have always admired you. You are such an incredible person. Our father in heaven is so mindful of you and Kevin. I will offer up my prayers for your family...it is obvious you two are so loved!

lisa said...

I wish there were some way to "make it all better"...I don't think there is anything more difficult than watching your own children suffer and not being able to do something about it...I wish I could take away all the pain and feelings of loss...I hope you know how much we love both of you...You are both amazing...so patient in your trials and strong in your faith. I couldn't have been blessed with a better son and daughter.

Rulene said...

I'm so sorry Tera.  You and Kevin are very special people. I love you both so much and wish I could take away all the pain and suffering and disappointment you are going through right now. As always we will continue to pray for you.  It has beengreat listening to your young nieces and nephews praying for you too.Again - love you lots

Laura Woodbury said...

I am sorry to hear about your bad news! We are praying for you and hope you can feel of our love! Our kids loved having Kevin come home teach us yesterday (they were totally being goofy and showing off) after they left they said I like our new home teachers! And I do too so thank you Kevin for being such a great example of someone who wants to serve Heavenly Father because I am sure there are/were a million valid excuses as to why you couldn't come but it was definitely a testimony builder to us. I hope you guys go have a great time in Lake Powell and are able to "escape" for just a little while...you deserve it. And please let us know if we can do anything for you even if it is just taking Millie for a walk, my kids would love it!

Annie said...

I love ya Tera! I hope you guys can have a wonderful time away this week!
Don't worry about things on the home front we'll take care where needed! You'll both be in my prayers daily!

Jen@Because I can said...

I love you! It is a testament to how amazing you guys are to see how many people are praying for you and love you so much! I have known you for nine years now Tera and I am lucky to have been your friend for so long. You are always in my prayers, all the way from St. Louis. I wished I lived closer to be able to see you and give you a hug! Love always!

Katie said...

Kevin and Tera- I have never left a comment on your blog before, but I do read it almost every day. And today your example of faith and love have overwhelmed me. I know that things in your life have not turned out the way you imagined, but as I read through these other comments it has become apparent to me of how much you have touched people's lives. Thank you for touching ours! Thank you for being an example of strength and patience, you will never know the impact you have had on my life. We love you both so much, and you are always in our thoughts, and we will continue to pray for you.

Jaime Stephens said...

Tera this is Jaime Jolley I was reading allies blog and saw yours. Wow you have me in tears you are an amazing person and you guys have such faith and are amazing examples. This story has touched me not only because I know you but I work with cancer patients and they bless my life daily because they are people like you that teach me so much! I will always keep you guys in out prayers and I know heavenly father will watch over you and your amazing family!

Ryan + Jess said...

Tera, I hope you don't mind me commenting (I found your blog through Allie). My heart aches for you and your husband - I am so glad that you have such a strong support system in your family, your ward, your friends, and most of all, your Savior. I am thinking of you and praying for you!!

James said...

Hey Kevin, this is James, your freshman year roomate! Jason sent me a link to your blog. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. We will pray for you and your family. Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy. I admire your courage. God bless you and your family.

Brooks Dame said...

Kevin,

This is Brooks from BYU back in the day. Jason P. shot an email out and said he was going to go visit you.
I thought I'd drop a line. I wish you and your family all the best. The lord works in mysterious ways, which I never will understand,But I do know that he loves all of us. And loves you and your family.

All the best. If I can do anything pleas let me know.

Unknown said...

From Ed Queen, Sr.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I have been praying for both of you since I first heard that Kevin had cancer. I will continue to do so.

I am so glad that I met you both a few years ago! You are wonderful people and choice children of our Heavenly Father.

I have often contemplated why these things happen to those we love. I can only conclude the same thing Kevin has said about blessings from Heavenly Father.

I love you both dearly.

Monique said...

I am living proof that the Lord works in mysterious ways. And though we are far away, you are close in our hearts. We ask about you two, pray for, and love you two very much. We feel it a blessing to know someone with that much courage. It's truly inspiring. You BOTH are inspiring. Love you guys. If you want to come and visit in Hungary, you are MORE than welcome. :) Pray on...

Cando said...

Hey.. I just thought I would say I'm sorry about all that you have been going through. I know you are so greatful for your family right now, I love them too. I loved getting to meet kim's sister finally and see how amazing you are, she talks about your "amazing-ness" all the time. You are in our prayers!